HP 35s Programming/Solutions Manual
j***@gmail.com
2009-03-04 18:36:26 UTC
Is anyone aware of a Programming/Solutions Manual for the HP 35s? I
noticed that a company called "D'Zign" has a Solutions Manual for the
HP 33s, but I have the 35s. I am seeking licensure as a Professional
Land Surveyor, and the 35s is one of the few calculators allow on the
exams for becoming a Professional Land Surveyor or Professional
Engineer.

If a manual does not exist, does anyone have plans to make one anytime
soon? I'm certain there are a lot of surveyors/engineers who would
purchase such a book.

Jon K.
PeterW
2009-03-04 20:22:05 UTC
Perhaps you could search in
http://www.hpmuseum.org/
for surveying. There are some older
HP calculators with a surveying pac.
The hpmuseum sells a DVD with
all the documentation of calculators
and pacs. Perhaps this is an easier
way than making a new program

Peter
s***@hotmail.com
2009-03-05 00:06:08 UTC
Perhaps you could search inhttp://www.hpmuseum.org/
for surveying. There are some older
HP calculators with a surveying pac.
The hpmuseum sells a DVD with
all the documentation of calculators
and pacs. Perhaps this is an easier
way than making a new program
Peter
The exams are not such that certain calculators are *banned*, but
where only a few calculators are *allowed*. Older HP models (or newer
ones with more connectivity) may not be on that allowed list.

To the OP: the 35s does not have I/O, so if you were to purchase such
a book of programs, you would have to enter each program in by hand.
Then, since the 35s cannot save programs to nonvolatile memory, you
would have to carefully change the two batteries one at a time to
retain user memory, lest you re-enter all of the equations/formulae
into the calculator.

S.C.
PremiumBlend
2009-03-05 00:16:10 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Is anyone aware of a Programming/Solutions Manual for the HP 35s? I
noticed that a company called "D'Zign" has a Solutions Manual for the
HP 33s, but I have the 35s. I am seeking licensure as a Professional
Land Surveyor, and the 35s is one of the few calculators allow on the
exams for becoming a Professional Land Surveyor or Professional
Engineer.
If a manual does not exist, does anyone have plans to make one anytime
soon? I'm certain there are a lot of surveyors/engineers who would
purchase such a book.
Jon K.
Hello Jon,

The way I see it, you have two options:

1. Buy an hp 33s and manual from D'Zign (the best option).

2. Buy the hp 33s manual from D'Zign and adapt the programs for your
hp 35s.

Best of luck on the exam!

Regards,

Mark
Joel Koltner

Or get two calculators, using one as a "manual backup" to the other.
John H Meyers
2009-03-05 17:11:10 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
To the OP: the 35s does not have I/O, so if you were to purchase such
a book of programs, you would have to enter each program in by hand.
Then, since the 35s cannot save programs to nonvolatile memory,
you would have to carefully change the two batteries one at a time
to retain user memory, lest you re-enter all of the equations/formulae
into the calculator.
The original HP35 was not even programmable,
but IIRC a book of "keystroke programs" for it,
the "HP35 Math Pac," to handle many problems,
was produced anyway by HP (and bought by me).

Who was the "prolific HP35 user" who originally wrote them?
[answered below, if you look through everything]

http://www.hpmuseum.org/software/swcd.htm
lists the following under "Calculator Manuals"

HP-35 Math Pac
HP-35 Surveying Pac
HP-35 Surveying

http://openlibrary.org/b/OL19996140M
http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/accession/102693396

http://www.finseth.com/hpdata/hp35a.php says, near end of page:
"Quoted from HP-35 Math Pac manual, page 168..
How would you display all 1's, 2's, ... 9's?"

Wow, here is quite a find (courtesy of Nelson & Horn)
http://holyjoe.org/hhc2007/Remembering%20The%20HP35A.pdf

"HP made it very easy for you to buy a machine.
You contacted the HP sales force and a salesman would take your order.
HP also started an order-by-mail campaign that gave you a true 15 day free trial.
They would not cash your check until after the 15 day trial"

[OFF...]
PeterW
2009-03-05 17:18:16 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
To the OP: the 35s does not have I/O, so if you were to purchase such
a book of programs, you would have to enter each program in by hand.
Then, since the 35s cannot save programs to nonvolatile memory, you
would have to carefully change the two batteries one at a time to
retain user memory, lest you re-enter all of the equations/formulae
into the calculator.
S.C.
My HP calcs (HP11C, HP50G) hold their memories while battery
changing for minutes. You only get a problem, if you switch them
on with removed batteries. Try it, in my opinion there will be
no problem
Peter
John H Meyers
2009-03-05 18:12:36 UTC
Post by PeterW
My HP calcs (HP11C, HP50G) hold their memories
while battery changing for minutes.
Did you take out the HP50G's lithium memory backup battery,
to make that a fair contest :)

.
g***@gmail.com
2012-12-11 14:18:12 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Is anyone aware of a Programming/Solutions Manual for the HP 35s? I
noticed that a company called "D'Zign" has a Solutions Manual for the
HP 33s, but I have the 35s. I am seeking licensure as a Professional
Land Surveyor, and the 35s is one of the few calculators allow on the
exams for becoming a Professional Land Surveyor or Professional
Engineer.
If a manual does not exist, does anyone have plans to make one anytime
soon? I'm certain there are a lot of surveyors/engineers who would
purchase such a book.
Jon K.
Check back to the D'Zign website. They now have a solutions book for the the HP 35s.